Instant rava (Semolina or Sooji/sujji) dosa is popular in south Indian dishes. It is very easy to prepare ,very tasty, crispy and instant . The best thing about making rava dosa is , we don’t need to plan before. Whenever you feel , make it and have it . You can instantly make it and eat. Rava stands for suji or semolina. It is main ingredient, along with semolina, rice flour and all purpose flour are also added to the batter. you can make the rava dosa plain or you can spice it up by adding chopped onions, coriander leaves, herbs and spices. Always remember that the batter for rava dosa should be thin and easy to flow. Also allow some soaking time for rava or suji/semolina, so that they will be soften. This is a mouth watering culinary delight from South India. Rava Dosas are quick to make. They can be served as a snack or part of a main meal.
Cooking time: 20mins
- Rava/ suji / Semolina – 1/2 cup
- Rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Plane flour – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Green coriander leaves (chopped) – 2-3 tbsp
- Green chillies (chopped) – 2-3
- Ginger paste – 1/2 tbsp
- Asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Put rava , rice flour and plane flour in a bowl. Add 1 cup water.
- Stir until there are no lumps visible and make a smooth batter.
- When smooth batter is ready , then add more water. We need thin batter for dosa.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and then add the spices.
- Add green chillies, ginger, coriander leaves,asafoetida, cumin seeds and salt.
- Mix it well and leave it for 10 to 15 min.
- Heat a tawa pan or girdle and let it become hot.
- Scoop some water in your palm and splash it (throw with force) on the pan.
- The water droplets with sizzle and the pan will dry out.
- Immediately pour the thin batter in a circular motion. Do not level the top using ladle but fill out the gaps by pouring the batter.
- Sprinkle ½ or 1 tsp of oil from the top.
- When the base becomes golden or crisp. flip and cook the other side.
- When both the sides are cooked, remove the dosa from the pan. prepare all the dosas this way.
- Serve the rava dosa hot with coconut chutney, sambar , tomato souse or Green Chutney.
- Batter should be thin. In case the batter becomes slightly thick after making 3-4 dosas, add 1-2 tbsp of water and mix again. Then continue to make dosas.
- Once the tawa is heated well, keep the flame in medium through out the process.
- Remember rava dosa will take longer time to get cooked.
- Whether you use non stick or whatever pan, do not grease before making dosa . After you take off one dosa from the pan, wait for the pan to get hot, splash water and then pour the batter. This will make crispy, lacy, paper thin dosas.
- Each time you need to stir the batter to make dosa as the rava gets settled at the bottom.
- Cook the dosa in medium flame always and wait till it become crispy. It take few minutes to cook.