There’s so much you can do with potato, especially to make Vrat Ka Khana. This spicy recipe will keep your taste buds engaged while you keep those fasts.
Kashmiri Mirch Aloo
4 medium potatoes – cut into ¼ “ thick slices
4 cups water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp coarsely crushed pepper
1½ tsp degi mirch
2 tsp fennel seeds (saunf) – crushed
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
2+2 tbsp ghee or butter
1 tbsp juliennes of ginger
some flat pieces of fresh coconut – optional
½ tsp green cardamom (elaichi) powder
coriander sprigs or chopped coriander leaves
* Boil sliced potatoes for 5 minutes in 4 cups of water with 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp degi mirch & 1 tbsp lemon juice added to it.
* Cool the sliced potatoes and saute on a big tawa or flat pan with 2 tbsp of butter/ghee till golden.
* Heat 2 tbsp ghee, add crushed pepper, ginger juliennes, cook till ginger turns a little crisp. Add fennel seeds (coarsely crushed), ½ tsp degi mirch and cook only for ½ minute.
* Add 4 tbsp water and when the water comes to a boil add potatoes. (The water will help to uniformly coat the spices on the potatoes). Add salt to taste. Cook for about a minute till dry.
* Sprinkle coconut, ½ tsp green cardamom powder & few coriander sprigs & serve.